Cittadella Universitaria di Monserrato
S.S. 554, Km 4,5
09042 Monserrato (CA)
Neurobiology of alcoholism
As member of the Colombo lab, my major research topics focus on the following:
- Investigation of the role of the GABAB receptor in the mediation of the central effects of alcohol
- Investigation of the neurochemical and behavioral bases underlying alcohol abuse and dependence
- Identification of novel pharmacotherapies for alcoholism
- Set up and validation of animal and experimental models of alcoholism
- Investigation of the neurobiological bases underlying food intake and drug addiction
Lobina C., Gessa G.L., Colombo G.
Anxiolytic effect of voluntarily consumed alcohol in Sardinian alcohol-preferring rats exposed to the social interaction test. J. Alcoholism Drug Depend., in press, 2013.
Mugnaini C., Pedani V., Casu A., Lobina C.,Casti A., Maccioni P., Porcu A., Giunta D., Lamponi S., Solinas M., Dragoni S, Valoti M., Colombo G., Castelli M.P., Gessa G.L., Corelli F.
Synthesis and pharmacological characterization of 2-(acylamino)thiophene derivatives as metabolically stable, orally effective, positive allosteric modulators of the GABAB receptor. J. Med. Chem. 56:3620-3635, 2013.
Lobina C., Carai M.A.M., Froestl W., Mugnaini C., Pasquini S., Corelli F., Gessa G.L., Colombo G.
Activation of the GABAB receptor prevents nicotine-induced locomotor stimulation in mice. Front. Psychiatry 2:76. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2011.00076, 2011.
Loi B., Lobina C., Maccioni P., Fantini N., Carai M.A.M., Gessa G.L., Colombo G.
Increase in alcohol intake, reduced flexibility of alcohol drinking, and evidence of signs of alcohol intoxication in Sardinian alcohol-preferring rats exposed to intermittent access to 20% alcohol. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 34:2147-2154, 2010.
Colombo G., Lobina C., Carai M.A.M., Gessa G.L.
Phenotypic characterization of genetically selected Sardinian alcohol-preferring (sP) and -non preferring (sNP) rats. Addict. Biol. 11:324-338, 2006.